With your help in the beta, we’ve reworked RuneScape’s Death system. There’s now more freedom in how you reclaim your items and more leeway when things go wrong, while retaining the risk in your most dangerous adventures.
When you die – as long as you’re not in the Wilderness or in a safe area – the following applies:
- Items are now stored by Death when you die. He will look after them for 24 hours of in-game time. This persists across log-outs, so disconnects are no longer a danger. You will respawn in his office.
- You will be able to claim back your items in exchange for coins, by sacrificing items eligible to be lost for their coin value, or a combination of the two, using a new interface.
- Items that would have degraded on death, won’t do so if reclaimed from Death’s storage, as the penalty is now reflected in the buy-back mechanic.
- If you choose not to reclaim items from Death immediately, your gravestone will spawn when you leave his office. Gravestone timers have been reduced, but this will allow you to reclaim items using the degrade-on-death mechanics you’re used to.
- If you choose to try and get back to your gravestone and don’t make it, Death will still be holding your items.
- You can return to Death within 24 hour in-game hours if you wish to claim some of your items back later. Be aware, though, that dying again will wipe the stored items – only the items and equipment you were carrying during your most recent death are stored.
- Note that existing mechanics for items kept on death still apply. This includes extra items kept with prayers, divination items, and similar effects, including reductions for being skulled or being in a dangerous area.
- Items you were holding when you died can no longer be picked up by other players.
In the Wilderness, or in safe areas, none of the above applies. Death mechanics in PvP situations are the same as they’ve always been, with the exception that a stack of items is now treated as a single item for purposes of item protection.
Other, smaller tweaks are:
You can now choose any gravestone appearance that you have unlocked. You will always get the benefits of the best one available to you, regardless of the chosen look.
Graves are now allowed in the Corporeal Beast’s lair.
Solomon’s Store – Prismatic Dyes
Looking for the perfect shade of purple or an exceptionally eye-catching ochre? Prismatic dyes are for you – only on Solomon’s Store!
You’ll now find eight new colour slots on the recolour interface for compatible cosmetic override outfits. Each dye you purchase lets you set a colour for one of these slots, chosen from a colour wheel.
Save up to eight of your favourite colours, and use them to your heart’s content. Should you ever need to replace one, simply purchase another dye from the store.
Need more RuneCoins? You can get them by redeeming Bonds, or you can purchase more on the website.
This Week’s Streams
This week’s streaming schedule’s packed with Ninjas and furious god-beasts falling from the sky. You can see these streams – and more – over on our Twitch channel.
Developer Q&A – 16:00 UTC (game time), 26th May
Our Ninjas step out of the shadows this week to showcase their latest projects, fixes and tweaks. On the panel is:
Mod Pi – Combat Specialist and Ninja.
Mod Kelpie – RuneScape Project Manager and Head Ninja.
Mod Rowley – Content Developer, lore specialist and Guardian.
Ask your questions on the forum, on Reddit, or on Twitter with the hashtag #RSDevQA.
Tuska Community Stream – 20:00 UTC, 26th May
Tuska’s arrival is imminent, and our Community Team have become her emissaries, raining meteors on Gielinor for your XP-gaining enjoyment.
Join Mods Balance and JD to find out more about the mysteries of Tuska, and for the chance to win exclusive art.
Clue Scroll Highlights
In case you missed it last week, check out the highlights of the 10,000 Elite Clue Scrolls stream for loads of loot-tastic goodness.